Me, wear a dress?

I have a friend who is petrified of dresses. How, you ask, could one be so scared of a few metres of cloth fashioned in a shape that all of us were very comfortable with at the age of three? Oh, but she is. Terrified, that is.

Post delivering the most adorable little baby boy, and my first nephew (well done, darling!) a couple of years ago, she has just not had the time or energy to shed as many of her pregnancy pounds as she would like. For convenience sake (and because she lives so far from me that I haven't been able to get my hands on her wardrobe to empty it out 
!), she has taken to hiding her voluptuous figure in long indian kurtas. If she does, at all, venture into the territory of non-Indian clothes, it's a long skirt and a long top. Hence, the severe emotional distress at the thought of a "dress". Of course, in her mind, a "dress" is what Bollywood starlets parade their starved bodies in on Page 3 i.e. very short, very tight and optionally-sleeved. 

After a lot of persuasion, I finally convinced her to come shopping with me for a dress. I won't deny that there were a few false starts - some dresses were not the right length (and she's very conscious about her thighs), some hugged her round bottom too close, the sleeveless ones were shooed away even without a trial (her upper arms have not been exposed to the world in over 36 months). She was starting to get annoyed with me. Comments about "mutton dressed as lamb" could distinctly be heard (and that was probably the most complementary thing I was called that day). But finally, we found a deceptively simple looking indigo blue chiffon dress. I bullied her into trying it on (Yes, bullying is a particular skill set of mine. I'm very proud of it.). Add some sparkly heels and dangly earrings and lo & behold, suddenly this incredibly sexy, voluptuous, just plain YUMMY being emerged from the dressing room. And every single girl waiting outside the dressing room for their turn went Ooooooooooooooooooooooh!

The colour – a gorgeous gorgeous indigo blue - was just perfect for her wheatish skintone. The a-line, knee length bottom half disguised the hips and thighs very well. The top half had a neck low enough to show off a hint of her impressive assets, yet was demure enough to wear in front of her conservative in-laws. And miraculously, even the lack of sleeves didn't matter because it was just such a flattering fit and cut. All in all, it was a dress made for her. She wore it to her sister's birthday party and loved every minute of once again feeling like the hot chick that she used to be, before she started hiding her figure in tent-like clothes, dancing her heart out on the dancefloor all evening, feeling and looking every inch the beautiful beautiful woman that she is 
.


And today she called me and said, Babe, I need an outfit for my son's third birthday party, so let's go buy me a dress!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger